Appendix 6 - Putting On and Removing PPE
Step by step images for putting on and removing PPE
Use safe work practices to protect yourself and limit the spread of infection
- Keep hands away from face and PPE being worn.
- Change gloves when torn or heavily contaminated.
- Limit surfaces touched in the patient environment.
- Regularly perform hand hygiene.
- Always clean hands after removing gloves.
The type of PPE used will vary based on the type of exposure anticipated, and not all items of PPE will be required.
NB Masks and goggles are not routinely recommended for contact precautions. Consider the use of these under standard infection control precautions or if there are other routes of transmission.
Putting on Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Perform hand hygiene before putting on PPE. The order for putting on PPE is Apron or Gown, Surgical Mask, Eye Protection (where required) and Gloves.
Removing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
The order for removing PPE is Gloves, Apron or Gown, Eye Protection, Surgical Mask.
- Perform hand hygiene immediately on removal.
- All PPE should be removed before leaving the area and disposed of as healthcare waste.