The NHSScotland National Infection Prevention and Control Manual (NIPCM) was first published on 13 January 2012, by the Chief Nursing Officer (CNO (2012)1), and updated on 17 May 2012 (CNO (2012)1 Update).
The NIPCM provides guidance to all those involved in care provision and should be adopted for infection prevention and control practices and procedures. The national manual is mandatory for NHSScotland. In all other care settings to support with health and social care integration the content of this manual is considered best practice.
The manual aims to:
- Make it easy for care staff to apply effective infection prevention and control precautions.
- Reduce variation and optimise infection prevention and control practices throughout Scotland.
- Help reduce the risk of Healthcare Associated Infection (HAI).
- Help align practice, monitoring, quality improvement and scrutiny.
The NIPCM currently contains guidance on Standard Infection Control Precautions (SICPs), Chapter 1 and Transmission Based Precautions (TBPs), Chapter 2 and Healthcare Infection incidents, outbreaks and data exceedance - Chapter 3. It is planned to further develop the content of the manual.
- 01 Nov 2017Update to TBP Aide Memoire
- 11 Oct 20174 Updated literature reviews now available
- 05 Oct 2017Update to Transmission Based Precautions Aide Memoire and Droplet Precautions Poster
- 02 Oct 2017Updates to NIPCM 2 October 2017
- 24 Jul 2017Surgical Scrubbing Video now added to Section 1.1 Hand Hygiene