The NHSScotland National Infection Prevention and Control Manual (NIPCM) was first published on 13 January 2012, by the Chief Nursing Officer (CNO (2012)1), and updated on 17 May 2012 (CNO (2012)1 Update).
The NIPCM was endorsed on 3 April 2017 by the following:
Chief Nursing Officer
Dr Catherine Calderwood
Chief Medical Officer
Rose Marie Parr
Chief Pharmaceutical Officer
Chief Dental Officer
Dr Donald Macaskill
CEO Scottish Care
This national manual provides guidance to all those involved in care provision and should be adopted for infection prevention and control practices and procedures. The national manual is mandatory for NHSScotland. In all other care settings to support with health and social care integration the content of this manual is considered best practice.
The manual aims to:
- Make it easy for care staff to apply effective infection prevention and control precautions.
- Reduce variation and optimise infection prevention and control practices throughout Scotland.
- Help reduce the risk of Healthcare Associated Infection (HAI).
- Help align practice, monitoring, quality improvement and scrutiny.
- 24/07/17 - Interim Competency Framework for PPE for infectious diseases of high consequence (IDHC)
- 24/07/17 - Surgical Scrubbing Video now added to Section 1.1 Hand Hygiene
- 21/07/17 - New SBAR on Donning, doffing and decontamination of powered respirators in resources section
- 07/07/17 - Update to NIPCM Development Process Document
- 23/06/17 - Updates made to Appendix 11 - Inclusion of new pathogens
- 1.1 Patient Placement/Assessment for infection risk
- 1.2 Hand Hygiene
- 1.3 Respiratory and Cough Hygiene
- 1.4 Personal Protective Equipment
- 1.5 Safe Management of Care Equipment
- 1.6 Safe Management of Care Environment
- 1.7 Safe Management of Linen
- 1.8 Safe Management of Blood and Body Fluid Spillages
- 1.9 Safe Disposal of Waste (including sharps)
- 1.10 Occupational Safety: Prevention and Exposure Management (including sharps)
- 2.1 Patient Placement/Assessment for Infection Risk
- 2.2 Safe Management of Patient Care Equipment in an Isolation Room/Cohort Area
- 2.3 Safe Management of the Care Environment
- 2.4 Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Respiratory Protective Equipment (RPE)
- 2.5 Infection Prevention and Control during care of the deceased