This national manual provides guidance to all those involved in care provision and should be adopted for infection prevention and control practices and procedures. The national manual is mandatory for NHSScotland employees and applies to all NHSScotland healthcare settings. In all other care settings the content of this manual is considered best practice.
The manual aims to:
- Make it easy for care staff to apply effective infection prevention and control precautions.
- Reduce variation and optimise infection prevention and control practices throughout Scotland.
- Help reduce the risk of Healthcare Associated Infection (HAI).
- Help align practice, monitoring, quality improvement and scrutiny.
- 12/09/16 - Updated Appendix 7 - Decontamination of reusable non-invasive care equipment now on website
- 28/07/16 - Updated literature reviews for ABHR, Occupational Exposure and Gloves now on website
- 30/05/16 - Addition of National Minimum Risk Categorisation for fit testing with FFP3 to NIPCM
- 13/05/16 - Updated literature reviews for Hand washing, Headwear and Patient Equipment available on the NIPCM
- 1.1 Patient Placement/Assessment for infection risk
- 1.2 Hand Hygiene
- 1.3 Respiratory and Cough Hygiene
- 1.4 Personal Protective Equipment
- 1.5 Safe Management of Care Equipment
- 1.6 Safe Management of Care Environment
- 1.7 Safe Management of Linen
- 1.8 Safe Management of Blood and Body Fluid Spillages
- 1.9 Safe Disposal of Waste (including sharps)
- 1.10 Occupational Safety: Prevention and Exposure Management (including sharps)
- 2.1 Patient Placement/Assessment for Infection Risk
- 2.2 Safe Management of Patient Care Equipment in an Isolation Room/Cohort Area
- 2.3 Safe Management of the Care Environment
- 2.4 Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Respiratory Protective Equipment (RPE)
- 2.5 Infection Prevention and Control during care of the deceased